Many products are made by casting (e.g. Diecasting, sand casting etc), and its quality and precisions are asked higher and higher. In general, castings are produced relying on casting engineers’ skill, experience and intuition. Therefore, casting engineers spend a lot of time and cost in not only designing but also modifying.
Casting Simulation System, ADSTEFAN visualize physical phenomena occurs in a Mold when molten metal is filling or solidifying. You can predict what types of phenomenon or defects occurs inside of the Mold without trial casting. ADSTEFAN brings you to reduce trial casting, designing time and cost, and also to improve quality of a product.
Unique features in ADSTEFAN – Casting Simulation System:
Shot sleeve analysis and standing wave prediction in HPDC. Tilt casting and sensitivity analysis.
ADSTEFAN is the fastest casting simulation system operates on Windows.
This is an example of ADSTEFAN calculation time of Basic analysis: Fluid flow analysis and Solidification analysis, with a windows machine (Main memory: 4GB, Clock:2.6GHz).
1. Comparison of Fluid flow analysis
- Approximately 2 hrs in case total numbers of mesh elements are less than 10,000,000.
- Approximately 4hrs for 20,000,000 mesh elements.
- Approximately 14hrs for 50,000,000 mesh elements or over.
2. Comparison of Solidification analysis
- Approximately 1hr (about 50% of time for Fluid flow analysis)
1. Auto mesh generation (High accurate auto modification function is available)
FDM (Finite difference Method) Mesh is automatically generated.
Even if a quality of 3D CAD data (STL) is bad, i.e. missing some surface, ADSTEFAN mesh program automatically modifies CAD data errors and reduce time to generate and modify mesh data.
Example of auto mesh modification
2. Material Database
- ADSTEFAN provides material database as standard.Initial value for each material is prepared in the database so that required material database is available by clicking the name of the material. Also, it is easy to customize the database as you want, such as adding new material data or changing some value of the existing material.
- Wall resistance or temperature dependency data can be registered on the database.
|Casting||AI||42||AC4C, ADC12, etc.|
|Fe, Steel||34||FC, FCD, etc.|
|Cu||9||BC1, BC2, etc.|
|Mg||14||AM60, AZ91D, etc.|
|Zn||5||ZDC1, ZDC2, etc.|
|Mold, the others||65||SKD61, chiller, isothermal, etc.|
3. Import parameters from the previous analysis and Customize the data
You can import and divert parameters from previous analysis if models are similar. Even if there are some differences, you can change them to appropriate parameters for new analysis. It makes it easy for engineers to set parameters for analysis.
1. Comparison with actual defect part on the product and simulation result.
Example 1. Fluid Flow Analysis (Misrun) Throttle Chamber
Simulation results predicts a part of defect.
Pic: Misrun on the right projection. Simulation result: Metal is not filled completely to the end.
Example 2. Fluid Flow Analysis (Cold shut) Mobile phone
Defects occur where molten metal with big temperature drop crashes from both sides and where air is trapped.
Example 3. Solidification Analysis (Shrinkage porosity) Test Casting
Positions of shrinkage cavities matches with ones of the simulation results. Directional solidification from product part to riser is prevented because the connection part with a riser is thin and long.Therefore, the shrinkage cavity occurs in the product part.
X-ray picture Analysis Result: Red parts shows shrinkage cavities.