At ProSIM we have the expertise for casting process optimisation by using state of the art metal casting simulation software such as ADSTEFAN.
Using ADSTEFAN for sand casting process simulation, we carry out the casting process optimisation. Using the casting simulation, effect of gating system on the flow of the molten metal is simulated.
Flow pattern of liquid melt in mold cavity is predicted. This gives the information of regions with high velocity and turbulence, that case mold erosion. During this simulation, the temperature changes in the melt are also estimated. Such a simulation of sand casting/ shell molding process helps in the prediction of casting defects such as air entrapment, gas porosity, cold shut, hot tear.
Once the melt starts cooling down, ADSTEFAN casting simulation is extended to the simulation of solidification. At this stage, the effects of chills on quality is studied. this will help in the prediction of casting defects such as shrinkage porosity (micro/ macro).
Casting simulation software such as ADSTEFAN can be used as a tool for optimisation of gating by exploring several methoding options without resorting to physical prototyping and pouring. This will help in the optimisation of the process to minimise the defects, reduce the rejection, and increase the yield.
By using ADSTEFAN based casting simulation, ProSIM has assisted foundries to increase the yield from 45% to 65% or more.
- Flow Animations of engine block
- Solidification of pump cover
- Shell molding simulation
- Animation of block
- Shrinkage is shell molding
- Figure showing shrinkage defect physical and simulation
- Figure showing air entrapment physical and simulation
- Figure showing cold shut physical and simulation
- Figure showing hot tear physical and simulation
- Indian Foundry Congress (IFC) 2013 presentation
- IFC 2015 paper
- IFC 2016 paper
- Sleeve effectiveness to increase yield
- Adstefan brochure